I have to say that I am really enjoying finding recipes that go well with Kimchi as a sidekick (Kimchi is one of our favorite homemade staples in the house lately). Back in early December, I made a Kimchi Soup and it was oh so creamy and spicy delight!
Hmm, interesting. During my journey learning about Korean cuisine, I learned a good differentiation from soups versus stews:
- Doenjang Guk – means Korean Bean Paste Soup (more liquid is used than the stew below), Guk = soup.
- Doenjang Jjigae – means Korean Bean Paste Stew (just use less liquid), Jjigae = stew
Who knew…good to know. I am going to watch the terminology being used whenever I eat out at a Korean Restaurant!
The Verdict of Korean Soybean Paste Vegetarian Soup:
Korean cuisine is truly impressing me, especially so in the soup department. This recipe is so easy and one would think that the soup base simmered for a long time and/or have had a ton of labour behind it because of its rich beautiful creamy and deep base. No not so. With the zucchini, shiitake mushrooms, tofu and onion, it is such a healthy soup. The shiitake mushrooms definitely added another deep meaty level to the soup and also the base itself. I would not use nothing but shiitake mushrooms. Add in the Kimchi and an optional 7 minute egg and you have a meal!
More soup? Yes please? Give me more…I love this Korean Bean Paste Soup. Deep base, spicy goodness and the zucchini are so flavorful and filling.
Missing from picture above: Kimchi and eggs in which I added in at the end!
Korean Soybean Paste Vegetarian Soup Ingredients:
- 4 small zucchini, peeled, thinly sliced and cut into quarter circles
- 1 packet (50g, 1.8 ounces) shiitake mushrooms – thinly sliced.
- 1 medium yellow onion – diced.
- 250g (8.8 ounces) Korean tofu – medium firm – diced or cut into small rectangular pieces
- 5 cups vegetable broth
Soup seasoning sauce (mix these well in a small bow):
- 6 Tbsp Korean soybean paste (Doenjang)
- 2 tsp Korean chili paste (Gochujang)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp anchovies, minced
- 2 tablespoon seaweed
- 1 cup hot water
- green onion, sliced very thin the long way
- seven minute boiled eggs
Korean Soybean Paste Vegetarian Soup Instructions:
- Mix all ingredients for soup seasoning in a bowl with 1 cup of hot water.
- Heat olive oil up in pot,
- Sauté zucchini and the onion for 3 minutes on med high heat. Add in soup seasoning and 5 cups of veggie stock.
- Add the tofu and boil for a further 1 to 2 mins.
- Add the shiitake mushroom and and boil for last the 1 to 2 mins.
- Turn the heat off and serve.
- Serve with green onion thinly sliced, a big spoonful of Kimchi and a 7 minute runny egg. Enjoy the meal!
What I changed from the original recipe:
- Omitted enoki mushrooms.
- Revised amounts to make 2x more soup base.
- Added green onions as garnish.
- Used 1 tsp anchovies.
- Used mara seaweed instead of kelp.
- Used veggie broth instead of water.
- Added Kimchi as garnish
- Added 7 minute boiled egg as garnish