Just the other day I was in Barnes and Noble skimming through some cookbooks and saw a black bean soup that inspired me to make for dinner. It was perfect because I was looking to make something simple that was healthy yet filling. I adjusted the original recipe a bit from what I remember ( i.e.. dried beans instead of water + canned beans instead of dried) and I added a few fun fixings!
The Verdict of Black Bean Soup
Well it seems as though this soup was well received by my special hungry tester. He loved it very much so. Kudos were given for all the fixings I provided to go with this soup that made it oh so yummy. This soup is one of the easiest soups to make with little more time invested if you fancy making the cashew cream and salsa fixings yourself (alternatively, just use bought salsa and sour cream)
Serving multiple fixings with this soup makes it feel like it is a Mexi-kind of meal! Give it a shot and make it your own!
Black Bean Soup Ingredients:
- 3 (14oz) cans of organic black beans (rinsed and strained)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 larger jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 tsp cumin (dried)
- 1 tsp coriander (dried)
- 1 tsp oregano (dried)
- 6 cups veggie stock
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro (chopped fine)
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup of cashew cream (soak 1 cup of cashews for an hour, drain, puree with half of lemon, 3 tablespoon water, 1 tablespoon olive oil)
- 2 cups of salsa (1 large tomato chopped small, half lime juice, 2 tablespoon fine chopped onion, 1 tablespoon cilantro, salt, dash cayenne, clove garlic minced)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Black Bean Soup Instructions:
- in large pot warm oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic Saute for about 3 minutes (until onions are soft)
- Add chile, bell pepper, cumin, coriander, and oregano and sauté for about 8 more minutes.
- Rinse the beans with strainer
- Add beans and veggie stock, Bring up to almost boiling and then turn low to simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Add half of the soup into blend and puree (keeping the other half nice chunks still)
- Add the purred part back into pot with rest of soup.
- Heat back up if it cooled a little,.
- Add lime juice, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Add veggie stock to your liking if soup to thick.
- Ladle soup into bowls
- Serve and garnish with whatever you fancy: cashew cream, chopped avocados, salsa and more chopped cilantro