I’ve been meaning for quite sometime to make this soup when my boyfreind shared the original recipe from the Wall Street Journal back on January 13, 3013. I never had a chance to cook with sunchokes in the past nor did I hear of them till late last year. And now I notice more restaurants in Vancouver like The Acorn making Sunchoke soup. I was even more motivated to make this soup. Is this a new fad of soups? Hmmn.
The soup was healthy and sans cream or milk products. Loved it also because the topping with chives was exquisite and the crunchy apples a fine texture and just enough sweetness. The fried tiny Sunchoke pieces are subtle and plays well with chives and apples. The soup was very velvety and creamy like a pureed cauliflower soup (one of my favs). The bouquet spices made a strong statement in the pot of soup for a tiny packet.
I adjusted the recipe and added more lentils to make a meal out of my soup. I took it to work two days in a row for lunch and it filled me up just fine!
Sunchoke Soup Ingredients:
- ¼ cup black lentils
- pinch salt, plus more, to taste
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 celery stalks, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 pounds sunchokes, all but 2 pieces (about 3 inches each) peeled and cut into ½ inch coins
- 8 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 whole star anise
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly sliced
- 15-20 corriander seeds
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- pepper to taste
- ½ cup apples. Cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Set a small pot of water over high heat and bring back to a boil. Add lentils and pinch salt and simmer until lentils are just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, make soup: Set a deep pot over medium heat and swirl in 2 tablespoons oil. Add onions, leeks, shallots, garlic and celery. Sweat until softened and translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add sunchokes and sweat until slightly softened, 1-2 minutes more.
- Add enough stock to just cover vegetables and raise heat to high. Wrap spices and ginger in cheesecloth, secure with kitchen twine and add sachet to pot. Once soup comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high and simmer steadily until sunchokes and fork-tender, 20-30 minutes.
- While vegetables simmer, assemble garnish: peel and cut reserved sunchokes into ¼ inch dice/ Set a medium pan over medium heat and swirl in remaining oil/ Once hot, sauté diced sunchokes until tender and golden all over, about 5 minutes.
- Mix sautéed sunchokes with cooked lentils, apples and chives. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
- Once vegetables have simmered, set a sieve over a large bowl and pour soup through to separate vegetables from stock. Discard sachet and reserve stock. In a food processor, puree vegetables until smooth.
- Return pureed vegetables to pot and stir in enough stock to create a loose yet creamy consistency. Bring back to a simmer and season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and place a large spoonful of sunchoke-apple-lentil garnish in center of each bowl.
- Used black pepper instead of white pepper
- Doubled lentils
- Used 3/4 cup of diced apples instead of 1/2 cup
- Used more chives, corriander and two star anise
- Used a mix of lentils (black and brown)
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4.5/5)