Happy New Year and welcome to 2016! Let’s make it a souptastic year!
After the holidays drinking and eating naughty, New Years is a proper time again to start thinking about feeding our bodies warm and healthy soups. I love healthy soups and I am hoping to make more this year so that they will keep me fueled for my biggest goal for 2016 – my very first ever triathlon in May. Just the other day, I was sifting through Jamie Oliver’s Recipe Yearbook and this Spiced Parsnip & Lentil Soup with Chilli Oil caught my attention. I love many of Jamie’s recipes because he seems to use a fair bit of Indian inspired spices and root vegetables – and who doesn’t love parsnips?
The Verdict of Spiced Parsnip & Lentil Soup with Chilli Oil
I love the garlic chilli oil with this warm spicy and filling lentil soup – it definitely adds a nice layer and it looks oh so pretty! The fresh mint with the Masala spices really play together very well. I am surprised how filling this soup is – it must be the meaty red lentils. The soup is comforting and fulfilling. But, there is always room for improvement. If I was to make this soup again in the future, I would fry a lot more garlic pieces separately and add with them with oil as the garnish. I personally like having some chunks of goodness as I think it gets a tad boring with smooth puree soups. You need to add multiple levels of goodness!
Spiced Parsnip & Lentil Soup with Chilli Oil Ingredients:
Serves 4 -6
- Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 400g parsnips, scrubbed and chopped
- 2 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 250g red lentils
- 1.6 litres vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves, finely shredded to serve
- 3 Tablespoon oil
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- 1 garlic, finely sliced
Spiced Parsnip & Lentil Soup with Chilli Oil Instructions:
- To make the chili oil, place the oil in a small pan over a very low heat. Add the chillies and garlic and warm through for 5 minutes, making sure the garlic doesn’t brown. Set aside to steep while making the soup. The oil can be strained before using or left as is, depending how you like it.
- For the soup, head the olive oil in a large pot and add the onion. Cook gently, stirring often, for 5 minutes then add the parsnips, masala and ginger and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are nice and soft.
- Puree the soup until smooth in blender or with hand immersion wand, being careful with the hot liquid.
- Serve the soup with the chills oil and mint.
Original Recipe: Jamie Oliver’s Recipe Yearbook, Spiced Parsnip & Lentil Soup With Chilli Oil.
What I changed from original recipe:
- I did not use hamhock as I wanted a veggie version
- I substituted rogan josh paste with garam masala dried spice
- I omitted yogurt as a garnish
- I substituted groundnut oil with olive oil for the chilli oil.
Soup Mistress Rating For Spiced Parsnip & Lentil Soup with Chilli Oil:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4.5/5)
Presentation: (4.5/5 )
Parsnip Lentil Chipotle Soup
Picture 1 of 13
The Completed Parsnip Red Lentil Chipotle Soup.
The other day, Jan Comerford Surgent (another soup-a-holic and Facebook friend) posted on Soup Mistress wall that she likes to cook up a tasty lentil and chorizo soup with chipotle pepper and shredded carrots. Yum, that did sound tasty and inspired me.
Since I am a big fan of chipotle pepper and I never attempted any kind of lentil soup in the past, Jan inspired me to look further. I went on my merry way and searched online for lentil soup recipes and one in particular grabbed my attention which had bacon. So I decided to run with the recipe with a few modifications plus taking Jan’s suggestions to use chipotle pepper. I decided to use parsnips instead of carrots, since I had them on hand. I also shredded the parsnips with Jan’s recommendation as well, instead of chopped.
The Verdict of Parsnip Red Lentil Chipotle Soup? This is one soup I wished I made two batches of because none made it to my freezer for a later date. I had a friend over to help me and the soup was well received with a request for a second bowl. Some lentil soups call for blending, but I don’t think this soup needs any blending what-so-ever – I like the tiny pieces of onion and contrast with the ingredients. This is one soup where the ingredients play really well together. I really liked the shredded parsnips and how they played into the soup background. This soup is a little on the spicy side – so no wussies allowed! If you feel like a milder soup – maybe use a small or half of a chipotle pepper but don’t omit it. The cilantro and dollop of goat yogurt cools the soup and plays well with the bacon and heat of the pepper. Yeppers, this soup will be made again in my home in the future, I am very sure of that!
Parsnip Red Lentil Chipotle Soup Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup chopped bacon
- 2 cups onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 cups parsnips, shredded
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium – large chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1/8 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped (keeping some for garnish)
- 1/4 cup goat yogurt
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Parsnip Red Lentil Chipotle Soup Instructions:
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and cook it over very medium-low heat in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Reserve the bacon on a plate with paper towel, leaving about a tablespoon of bacon fat in the pan to saute the onions.
- Saute onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add parsnip and tomato to the pan, stirring occasionally, and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the bacon pieces, lentils, chipotle pepper, and the vegetable stock, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat. Cover the pan and simmer until the lentils are soft (30 to 40 minutes). Check the soup occasionally to see if more liquid is needed; the lentils should be covered.
- Add lemon juice and cilantro, stir.
- Add the salt and pepper (to taste) and serve.
- Ladle in serving bowls, garnish with a tablespoon of goat yogurt and cilantro.
Original Recipe: http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t–1748/lentil-and-parsnip-soup.asp
What I Changed From Original Recipe:
- used more bacon
- added garlic
- used parsnip only (no carrots), and shredded (not chopped)
- added chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- used low sodium vegetable stock\added cilantro
- added goat yogurt as garnish
- added fresh lemon juice
Soup Mistress Rating for Parsnip Lentil Chipotle Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4.5/5)