If you are into sweet and sour soups, then this soup is for you. The apple cider vinegar adds a bite to it, so beware if you are not into that. This soup can be made a day before serving and refrigerated. I personally like this soup, but find it much more tastier the next day.
I have plans to redo many soups in the future and I will be:
- cutting calories and trimming fat from some favorite recipes
- adjusting so they are vegetarian, gluten-free as well as vegan – where I can
- adjusting dried herbs for fresh herbs
- adjusting processed foods for natural and/or organic – where I can
- adjusting highly acidic forming recipes to be more alkaline forming (healthier for you)
This soup makeover is:
- vegan (exclude the goat yogurt from recipe or use a soy-based alternative)
Red Cabbage and Apple Soup
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 cups thinly sliced cored red cabbage (about 1 med head)
- 1-1/2 cup large onion, chopped
- 8 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 5 cups low-salt vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- dash salt and pepper
- 1 cup of plain goat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and onion; sauté until soft, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add 8 thyme sprigs and sauté 1 minute longer. Add broth, water, apple cider vinegar, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon stick, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
In a separate heavy large skillet heat 1 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples and sauté until brown and tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Add apples to soup pot, season with dash of salt and pepper, simmer for 10 minutes longer.
Remove thyme sprigs, cloves and cinnamon stick from soup.
Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with a large scoop of plain goat yogurt and chopped fresh thyme.
Original Recipe that I tried and adjusted: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cabbage-Soup-with-Apples-and-Thyme-107249
What I changed from original recipe:
- replaced butter with olive oil
- replaced green cabbage with red cabbage
- added cloves
- added cinnamon stick
- added nutmeg
- replaced chicken broth with vegetable broth
- added apple cider vinegar
- added water
- added plain goat yogurt
Soup Mistress Rating for Red Cabbage and Apple Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (5/5)