The other day I picked up a large tray of chanterelle mushrooms at Costco for a great deal. I first thought of sauteing them for dinner just by themselves, but decided to make my very first wild mushroom soup.
I found a decent looking wild mushroom soup recipe on Epicurious (link below) and decided to use it as my base but with a few tweaks.
The verdict? This one is a great meatless meaty soup! I would make it again, but with a few minor tweaks. I found that it was a tad too thick, so I would omit the soya flour next time.
I have plans to redo many soups in the future and I will be:
- cutting calories and trimming fat from some favorite recipes
- adjusting so they are vegetarian, gluten-free as well as vegan – where I can
- adjusting dried herbs for fresh herbs
- adjusting processed foods for natural and/or organic – where I can
- adjusting highly acidic forming recipes to be more alkaline forming (healthier for you)
This soup makeover is:
Six Mushroom Soup Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cups button mushrooms, chopped
- 5 cups chanterelle mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups gourmet dried mixed mushrooms (porcini, shiitake, yellow boletes, oyster)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons gran marnier
2 tablespoons soya flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1/2 cup goat yogurt
- Soak dried mushrooms in water for 15 minutes (while prepping everything else), then drain (reserving liquid) and chop.
- Heat olive oil in heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add all mushrooms (fresh and dried) and thyme, saute until mushrooms begin to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add in gran marnier, stir 30 seconds,
then mix flour in.
- Slowly stir in vegetable broth and reserved juice from dried mushroom soak, bring soup to boil. Season with dash salt and pepper. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Puree soup (keeping 2 cups of mushrooms aside for garnish)
- Return soup to pot, and gently heat through.
- To serve, ladle hot soup into bowls and top with reserved mushrooms and goat yogurt. Serve immediately.
Original soup that I tried to recreate: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fresh-Wild-Mushroom-Soup-233131
What I changed from original recipe:
- replaced butter with olive oil
- added garlic
- used a different mix of mushrooms
- replaced brandy with gran marnier
- replaced all-purpose flour with soya flour (I think this recipe does not need flour what-so-ever though, I would omit this the next time)
- replaced beef broth with low sodium vegetable stock
- added goat yogurt as a garnish
- I pureed the soup and had some mushrooms reserved as a garnish (original recipe did not call for puree)
Soup Mistress Rating for Six Mushroom Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4.5/5)