Picture 1 of 6
Serve with a few pieces of fried sage and a swirl of cashew cream.
After a few recent visits to Nuba restaurant in Vancover- it has inspired my Scottish sous chef and I to create more cauliflower dishes lately. Nuba has a killer Cauliflower Najib’s special, if you ever make it there, do make sure you order it. My Scottish sous chef decided to make this yummy soup for us after a beautiful day of cross-country skiing in the Callaghan Valley, BC, Canada.
The Verdict of Roasted Cauliflower and Parsnip Soup?
This soup is tasty and very much filling – the parsnips dominate the cauliflower and we both liked the parsnips. I think the soup should have been called “Parsnip Cauliflower Soup” instead of “Cauliflower Parsnip Soup”. No herb stood out that much either, but that being said, the herbs and spices worked well in this delightful bowl of liquid! I would make it again.
Roasted Cauliflower and Parsnip Soup Ingredients:
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
- 4 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- dash of sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Roasted Cauliflower and Parsnip Soup Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking tray or two with tin foil.
- Lay cauliflower, parsnips, shallots, and garlic, out on foil, and drizzle with olive oil, thyme, sage, salt and pepper.
- Roast veggies for about 35-40 min, or until they’re soft and golden brown.
- Place veggies in a high speed blender (you may have to work in batches) and add broth and almond milk. Blend until soup is smooth and creamy, adding more liquid if you need to. We added about 2 more cups. Alternately, you can use an immersion blender.
- Transfer soup to a pot and re-season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a few pieces of fried sage and a swirl of cashew cream.
Original Soup Recipe: http://www.choosingraw.com/roasted-cauliflower-and-parsnip-soup/
What My Scottish Sous Chef Changed From Original Recipe:
- Used almond milk instead of rice, soy, or coconut milk
- Used 1 teaspoon paprika
- Added fried sage as garnish
- Added a dollop of cashew cream
- Used more vegetable broth – 5 to 6 cups. Was originally too thick.
Soup Mistress Rating for Roasted Cauliflower and Parsnip Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4.75/5)
Velvety Creamless Cauliflower Soup
Picture 1 of 9
The Completed Velvety Creamless Cauliflower Soup
I just realized that I have not yet shared my favorite cauliflower soup recipe on this blog! This is one recipe I can basically make in my sleep. I already made it this year 8 times, and it is only the end of February. Normally, I really don’t like cauliflower served by itself (being steamed, raw or stir fried), but I do LOVE cauliflower in soup!
Did you know that cauliflower is low in fat, low in carbs but high in dietary fiber, folate, water, and vitamin C, possessing a high nutritional density? Also cauliflower contains several phytochemicals, common in the cabbage family, that may be beneficial to human health. Read more about cauliflower here.
The Verdict of Velvety Creamless Cauliflower Soup? This soup is so easy peasy to make! When blended, it comes out very velvety smooth. The soup seems creamy – some people may think that it has cream or milk, but it does not. The lemon juice adds a fresh zip to it. The tiny diced tomatoes and sprinkled truffle oil add an elegant taste on top. I find myself craving this soup from time to time and that is why I have made it so many times. Simple soup, yet very flavorful and filling indeed!
Velvety Creamless Cauliflower Soup Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 cups (medium-large head) of cauliflower, chopped
- 4-5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- dash salt and pepper
- white truffle oil (drizzled on top)
Velvety Creamless Cauliflower Soup Instructions:
- Heat olive oil in heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes (or until onions are soft).
- Add cauliflower, saute for 2 additional minutes.
- Add vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and gently simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to blender or food processor; puree until smooth. Be careful with the hot liquids.
- Return soup to saucepan over low heat. Thin with more broth if desired.
- Stir in chives and lemon juice, stir, cook just until heated through (do not boil). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle hot soup into bowls. Top with finely chopped tomato and drizzle truffle oil on top. Serve immediately.
Soup Mistress Rating for Velvety Creamless Cauliflower Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (5/5)