Ohhh Vegan Corn Chowder I love you so. You are a beautiful filling and thick vegan cream-based soup, a great vegetarian alternative to clam chowder.
I’ve been meaning to make a soup with these beautiful yellow niblets for sometime as we had a bag of frozen ones in our freezer. I was skeptic that frozen corn wouldn’t be as tasty as fresh organic corn, but I was so VERY wrong to do so!
The Verdict of Vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder
What I love about this soup is that it is nice and creamy. Using cashews with the almond milk is a perfect touch and one may guess that there is a bit of cream in this soup and not a vegan soup. Oh ya, make sure you keep a reserve of corn and bright red pepper morsels on the side to add as a garnish in the end!!
Vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 parsnip, shredded
- 1 yukon gold potato, chopped fine
- 1 red pepper, chopped fine (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 cup veggie broth
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen corn (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dired oregano
- 2 cups almond milk
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped fine)
Vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder Instructions
- Heat oil, sauté onion and garlic until soft on medium
- Add parsnip and potato, sauté for about 3-55 minutes more.
- Add corn, salt and pepper
- Add in broth
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer
- Add oregano, almond milk, and simmer 10 – 15 minutes (or until your potatoes are tender
- While the soup is simmering add the cashews and chipotle with 2 cups of the soup and puree in blender. If using a smoking gun, add the hose in while you are blending the soup for best smoking.
- Stir mixture back into the soup. Add lemon juice. Add in red pepper (remember, keep some for garnish).
- Heat back up
- Optional: give the soup another punch of the smoing gun here if you wish (with lid on of course).
- Serve in bowls.
- Garnish with reserved red pepper, corn and cilantro
- Bam, enjoy!
Original recipe. I combined ideas form the following two recipes:
What I changed from the original recipe(s):
- I did not use celery nor carrot
- I used a parsnip instead of the carrot, and I shredded it into of fine chopped.
- I used almond milk and not coconut milk
- I used cilantro instead of chives
- I used oregano instead of coriander
- I used lemon instead of red sherry vinegar, and more of it. I seem to favor lemon juice most of the time to give a punch to soups to lift the taste.