Butternet Squash Pear Quinoa Soup
Just last week, I picked up a great cook book: Quinoa Revolution: Over 150 Healthy, Great Tasting Recipes Under 500 Calories. It has some amazing recipes – I would have never thought of using Quinoa in so many ways! From breakfast wake-ups to mushroom lasagna as well as numerous soups – oh my! There is a good handful of soups I want to try out. This is only my second soup I made with Quinoa to date.
Since it is squash season now, this soup definitely caught my attention having pears. Pears are one of my favorite fruits. And why can’t it be in a soup?! And blue cheese is soooo good on anything!
So What Are The Benefits of Quinoa?
Quinoa is a source of complete protein. Furthermore, it is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is also a source of calcium, and thus is useful for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant. Read more on Quinoa here.
I also like the fact that Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. Using Quinoa as a thickening agent in soups instead of wheat flour is a great gluten-free option!
The Verdict of Butternut Squash Pear Quinoa Soup with Blue Cheese?
I really love this soup. It was smooth and rich to my taste even though I omitted the cream/ milk in which the original recipe called for. The blue cheese should not be omitted though – it finishes the soup just right. I also think replacing dried sage with fresh sage gave it a fresher taste. This vegetable soup is packed with protein because of the Quinoa and seemed to have filled me up just right. Using the hand blender until the soup is a velvety delight is key. I also added in more vegetable stock and a very generous grind of pepper. The original recipe didn’t call for pepper – I think pepper is a rockstar in most soup cases and should never be snubbed!
Butternut Squash Pear Quinoa Soup With Blue Cheese Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 cups onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 5 cups butternut squash, diced
- 6.5 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh pears, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped fine
- 4 tablespoon blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Butternut Squash Pear Quinoa Soup With Blue Cheese Instructions:
- Heat up olive oil in large pot on medium heat
- Add onions, garlic and salt. Cook until the onions and soft and opaque, approx 7-8 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, butternut squash and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and simmer covered about 20 minutes.
- Add in the pear and fresh sage.
- Puree the soup with a hand blender or in batches with a food processor/blender.
- Return soup to the pot. Add pepper to your tasting.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with crumbled blue cheese and serve!
What I Changed From The Original Recipe:
- replaced butter with olive oil
- added more onions, butternut squash
- added more vegetable stock and omitted whole milk/whipping cream
- used fresh sage instead of dried sage
- used a tad more blue cheese
Soup Mistress Rating for Butternut Squash Pear Quinoa Soup With Blue Cheese: