After a few recent visits to Nuba restaurant in Vancover- it has inspired my Scottish sous chef and I to create more cauliflower dishes lately. Nuba has a killer Cauliflower Najib’s special, if you ever make it there, do make sure you order it. My Scottish sous chef decided to make this yummy soup for us after a beautiful day of cross-country skiing in the Callaghan Valley, BC, Canada.
The Verdict of Roasted Cauliflower and Parsnip Soup?
This soup is tasty and very much filling – the parsnips dominate the cauliflower and we both liked the parsnips. I think the soup should have been called “Parsnip Cauliflower Soup” instead of “Cauliflower Parsnip Soup”. No herb stood out that much either, but that being said, the herbs and spices worked well in this delightful bowl of liquid! I would make it again.
Roasted Cauliflower and Parsnip Soup Ingredients:
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
- 4 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- dash of sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking tray or two with tin foil.
- Lay cauliflower, parsnips, shallots, and garlic, out on foil, and drizzle with olive oil, thyme, sage, salt and pepper.
- Roast veggies for about 35-40 min, or until they’re soft and golden brown.
- Place veggies in a high speed blender (you may have to work in batches) and add broth and almond milk. Blend until soup is smooth and creamy, adding more liquid if you need to. We added about 2 more cups. Alternately, you can use an immersion blender.
- Transfer soup to a pot and re-season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a few pieces of fried sage and a swirl of cashew cream.
What My Scottish Sous Chef Changed From Original Recipe:
- Used almond milk instead of rice, soy, or coconut milk
- Used 1 teaspoon paprika
- Added fried sage as garnish
- Added a dollop of cashew cream
- Used more vegetable broth – 5 to 6 cups. Was originally too thick.