One soup recipe that I have been meaning to create for quite sometime is a chowder that is lactose-free (no milk or cream) and vegan for myself and not so vegan for my husband with salmon. I have fallen off the vegetarian wagon lately and not sure if meat is my thing once again. I feel so much better sticking to vegetarian. I have made this chowder in the past with bacon and wine, but for last night I wanted to make it a lighter healthy bowl of soup.
The Verdict of Vegan and Not-so Vegan Chowder
This chowder is very hearty with crusty toasty bread and is milk/cream-free (I used Almond Milk for the creaminess). I did not feel like I missed any of the cream, the almond milk worked very well. And the base had just enough heat with the crushed chiles and the serano chile. This is a perfect ying yang soup recipe to make two people happy, one wanting vegan and the other not. Was very good as left overs today!
Vegan Chowder Ingredients:
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots (approx 1 cup), diced small
- 2 celery (approx 1 cup), diced small
- 1 serano chile, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper (approx 1 cup), diced small
- 4 medium red potatoes (approx 2.5 – 3 cups), diced small
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced small
- 2 cups almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red chiles
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 teaspoon chives, finely sliced
- dash of salt and pepper
Optional for your guest or husband who may not want to go vegan as bad as you do:
- 1/5 pack of wild smoked salmon, torn or cut in smaller pieces.
Vegan and Not-so Vegan Chowder Instructions:
- In a large pan, over medium, heat olive oil up.
- Add in shallot, garlic, carrot, celery, serano, crushed chile, red & yellow peppers and potatoes. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth, tomato, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the almond milk, lemon juice, and thyme to pot. Heat through until potatoes are soft, but do not boil at this point. Reduce heat to low – simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup in bowls
- Garnish with chives.
Optional for your guest or husband who may not want go vegan as bad as you do:
- Distribute the smoked salmon to the top of bowl before the chives.
Soup Mistress Rating for Vegan and Not-so Vegan Chowder:
- Wild Smoked Salmon Chowder – A Lactose-Free Delight!
- Clint Would Bring Out A Smoking Gun Out For This Vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder
- Don’t Be Shrimping Out – A Seafood Chowder Delight!
- Spicy Oyster Chowder Perfect to Serve up for Valentine’s – A Soup Recreation
- Happy As A Clam Spicy Chowder For The Holidays