Zucchini Leek Soup
I just picked up a great cook book in Vancouver (Mouthwatering Vegan, Over 130 Irresistible Recipes For Everyone). I read it from front cover to back cover like I have done so with all of my cookbooks and magazines. I love reading recipes to learn from common techniques and ratios of ingredients, especially so for soups!
I decided to make this super easy soup for a chilly rainy day. It fancied me because it had leeks – they are something that I want to use more in my cooking.
The Verdict of Zucchini Leek and Cashew Cream Soup?
This soup is very nice and healthy indeed. At first I found the soup quite bland when I tried it, but when we added garlic and then truffle salt at the end, bam – it was to die for! Also, the addition of caramelized onions as a garnish was a good idea…I went back for more onions when I got halfway through my bowl of soup! I wished that I caramelized more onions though – perhaps next time!
This soup freezes well and is very much so truffle salts best friend! I would make it again next time!
Zucchini Leek and Cashew Cream Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 leeks, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 or 3 sprigs parsley
- 1/2 cashew cream (1/4 cup of cashews and 1/2 cup water)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- In a large sauce pan, heat the oil.
- Saute leeks and garlic for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add zucchini and sauté for 4 more minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes over low heat.
- Blend using an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender (be very careful when blending hot liquids!), until soup is smooth.
- Return soup back into pot to reheat, add salt and pepper
- Soak 1/4 cup of cashews in water for 20 minutes, drain and blend in blender with 1/2 cup of water.
- Add cashew cream to soup, keep soup in pot on very low/simmer.
- Fry up onions until they are slightly caramelized.
- Add finely chopped parley to soup pot and stir (leave a little for garnish)
- Ladle soup in bowls.
- Serve onions on top for garnish with some finely chopped parsley.
- Sprinkle a small amount of truffle oil and/or truffle salt.
What I Changed From Original Recipe:
- Used truffle oil and truffle salt after soup ladled in bowls
- Used fried caramelized onions as garnish with parsley
- Added 2 cloves of garlic
- Adjusted leeks and zucchini to 3 and 2
Oh ya, I made a great accompaniment with the soup – Tomato Onion Phyllo Pie, here’s a recipe that was my inspiration: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tomato-onion-phyllo-pizza. So delish and so easy!
Soup Mistress Rating for Zucchini Leek and Cashew Cream Soup: