Wild Smoked Salmon Chowder
Yippee! I’m Whistler bound in a few weeks for the ski season and I imagine I will be making a ton of hot soups. One soup recipe that I have been meaning to create for quite sometime is a smoked salmon chowder that is lactose-free (no milk or cream). Just last week, I had the liberty to make it for my boyfriend and one of his friends for dinner. I served it as the main course. I am quite sure I will make this chowder up on the ski mountain a few times!
The Verdict of Wild Smoked Salmon Chowder?
The chowder was very hearty with oven warmed Naam bread.
This chowder recipe is milk/cream-free (I used Almond Milk for the creaminess) but does have some naughty bacon. Bacon makes a chowder base so yummy – a little bit is only needed. I think I have done a good job on creating this lactose-free chowder!
I did not feel like I missed any of the cream, the almond milk worked very well. And the base had just enough heat with the crushed chiles and the serano chile. I can’t wait to make this same chowder again while skiing on the mountain – I think I’m going to look for the perfect thermal canister to carry in my back pack.
Wild Smoked Salmon Chowder Ingredients:
- 200 grams diced Pancetta (or smoked bacon)
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots (approx 1 cup), diced small
- 2 celery (approx 1 cup), diced small
- 1 serano chile, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper (approx 3/4 cup), diced small
- 1 yellow pepper (approx 3/4 cup), diced small
- 4 medium red potatoes (approx 2.5 – 3 cups), diced small
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups white wine
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced small
- 2 cups almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon crushed chilis
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 large pack of wild smoked salmon, torn or cut in smaller pieces.
- 3 teaspoon chives, finely sliced
- dash of salt and pepper
Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc is a great wine to drink as well as to cook with. I think it gives the chowder base a really refined acidity level and a crispness that enhances the spices and all of the delish vegetables.
Wild Smoked Salmon Chowder Instructions:
- In a large pan, sauté pancetta/bacon over medium heat until brown and crisp, approximately 3-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to plate and allow to rest.
- Add in shallot, garlic, carrot, celery, serano, crushed chile, red & yellow peppers and potatoes. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth, 2 cups wine, tomato, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add the almond milk, lemon juice, thyme and bacon to pan. Heat through until potatoes are soft, but do not boil at this point. Reduce heat to low. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup in bowls
- Distribute the smoked salmon to the top of each bowl of chowder
- Garnish with chives.
Soup Mistress Rating for Wild Smoked Salmon Chowder:
- Spicy Oyster Chowder Perfect to Serve up for Valentine’s – A Soup Recreation
- Happy As A Clam Spicy Chowder For The Holidays
- Raw Almond Cheese – An Easy Peasy Lactose Free Soup Topper
- Crusty Olive Almond Gluten-Free Bread A Great Dinner Date For Soups
- Summertime Soup Series: Anjo Blanco, A Gluten-Free White Gazpacho