Creamy Tomato Cashew Soup Ingredients
Lately I’ve been using cashews in recipes for replacement of sour cream or cream cheese (in savoury dishes as well as sweet dessert toppings) and all have turned out so wonderful. I have a fair bit of almond milk in soups to date, but wanted to try cashew cream in its place. This particular recipe grabbed my attention because it had a range of spices that I would not normally use together in one recipe. I was first a little septic because I never thought of using cumin, curry, dill and basil together with cloves. I thought “what the heck”, let’s risk it and give it a shot.
The Verdict of Creamy Tomato Cashew Soup
Wow, let’s just say it is a home run! If I was served this soup in a restaurant I would definitely think that it had a ton of fatty cream and butter!
I must say that my scepticism was wasted thinking time. The mix of spices played very well together. Not one spice was overpowering and they all seemed to be in perfect harmony!
The soup had delightful hint of heat…not too much either.
And oh so awesome creaminess!!!
This soup goes very well with the goat brie pesto grilled sandwiches I made with yummy gluten-free bread!
I also think this soup is very versatile and tasty for any kind of pasta. The next day I simmered it down a little and added in fresh cooked gluten free pasta with jumbo shrimp, smoked salmon and a bit more pieces of fresh basil. Who would know that this delectable pasta sauce was a soup the previous day?!!
Creamy Tomato Cashew Soup Ingredients:
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions,
- chopped 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoons chopped garlic
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle, dried
- 3 tablespoon fresh basil , finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 whole cloves (or ground)
- 2 28-oz cans chopped or diced oragnic tomatoes
- The juice from one lemon or lime
- basil for garnish
Creamy Tomato Cashew Soup Instructions:
- In a blender (I used a vitamix) blend the cashews and water until smooth.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the oil, and add the onion, celery and salt. Cook slowly, partially covered. Stir occasionally. When onions are soft and translucent, add the garlic and chipotle and cook until fragrant. Add remaining spices and continue to cook another minute or two.
- Add tomatoes, and stir. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until soup begins to thicken slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Blend using an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender (be very careful when blending hot liquids!), until soup is smooth.
- Add cashew cream into soup.
- Add the lemon juice and fresh basil
- Reheat gently, watching carefully as it’s easy to scorch the bottom.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with the optional basil leaves.
Basil Pesto Ingredients:
- 1 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 cup Nutritional yeast
Combine the basil, garlic, nutritional yeast, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
The Original Creamy Cashew Tomato Soup Recipe Here: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Cashew-tomato-soup-346120
What I Changed From Original Recipe:
- Used olive oil instead of canola oil
- Did not use fennel
- Used fresh basil and added it at the end.
- halved the recipe
- Added a 1 1/2 cup of water, it seemed to thick
Soup Mistress Rating for Creamy Tomato Cashew Soup: