Yup, I am on a quest for some great summertime soups and think I am on the right track. This is my second cold soup recipe for the summer that I adjusted and I am now thinking that there may be endless possibilities to find some keepers in the chilled soup category!
Just the other day I got inspired to make a full raw meal after perusing Brendan Braziers Thrive book. His book is great and full of wonderful ideas to eat a great plant-based diet to optimize a lifestyle that has a lot of sports and endurance activities.
So last night was my first attempt of a 100% homemade vegan and raw meal, it included:
- Chilled Cucumber Avocado Soup (with horseradish)
- Strawberry Mint Lemonade
- Zucchini Lasagna (with cremini mushrooms, sage lemon cashew cream, herb pesto (with nutritional yeast instead of parmesan), sun-dried tomato sauce, tomatoes, pine nuts)
- Raw Raspberry Torte (almonds, macadamia nuts, cacao powder, dates, raspberries)
The Verdict of Cucumber Avocado Chilled Soup?
I adjusted Barefoot Contessa‘s Chilled Cucumber Soup recipe (link here). It originally called for yogurt, cream and shrimp – so I adjusted it to be vegan and raw, substituting the milk products with almond milk and avocados. Also in the end when I tasted the soup, it was so delish but seemed as though it needed a little kick. There was some mighty fine fresh horseradish in the fridge and so a put a dollop in to swim with the cukes!
I had this soup the very next day and it was just as good and uber refreshing.
For those peeps who are looking for an ultra healthy alkalian diet, this soup is it! I never felt so healthy eating this soup yet at same time my taste buds are not left feeling jipped what-so-ever!
I will make this soup in a heart beat!
Cucumber Avocado Chilled Soup Ingredients:
- 2 avocados
- 3 cups plain almond milk
- 2 hot house cucumbers, unpeeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon fresh horseradish
- thinly slices of lemon, halved, for garnish
- fresh dill, for garnish
Cucumber Avocado Chilled Soup Instructions?
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the almond milk, avocado, cucumbers, red onion, scallions, horseradish salt, and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture in batches to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Or use an immersion blender.
- Process until the cucumbers are coarsely pureed. Fold in the dill, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until very cold.
- Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice. Serve chilled, garnished with the lemon, and fresh dill.
What I Changed From The Original Recipe:
- instead of using Greek Yogurt and half-andhalf I used 2 Avocados and 3 cups of plain almond milk
- added a teaspoon of horseradish
Soup Mistress Rating for Cucumber Avocado Chilled Soup: