Cinnamon and simmer
Over a week ago I roasted some red beets for the very first time ever and made a delish beet salad with lemon juice, shallots, macadamia oil with sprouts and arugula. It was so easy to roast beets and very yummy and fresh. I decided that my next beet culinary adventure would be in a soup and I wanted to try golden beets instead.
This soup recipe caught my attention and yesterday I headed to New Westminster Quay (Rivermarket.com) for some fresh produce to use in my soup. My good friend Karen Carter, a mighty fine real estate agent with Remax was coming over to get paperwork signed to list my condo on the market and I decided to make the soup for her visit!
The Verdict of Golden Beet Curry Soup:
Karen and I really liked how the curry played with the golden beets. They seem less sweet to me than red beets and perfect for this soup. The addition of carrot and parsnip gave a warm and earthy taste to the soup. Also the cayenne gave the soup a very nice mysterious heat to the soup – I don’t think it should be omitted from this soup ever (versus optional in the original recipe). The julienned red beets on top gave a nice contrast and texture. Karen did suggest that it would have been nice to have a dollop of cream in the soup (dairy or non-dairy cream like product – perhaps almond cheese?) – I have to agree with her on that point. Would have made it look even prettier as well!
Roasted Golden Beet Curry Soup Ingredients:
- 6-7 golden beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 red beet (for garnish)
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 -1/2 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups water, divided
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In a large baking pan or oven dish, toss beets, onions, parsnip and carrot with oil and all spices. Roast the red beet whole by itself for garnish.
- Pour 1 cup water over the mixture and cover in foil. Roast for 1 hour.
- Blend using an immersion blender or puree in batches in a food processor, adding vegetable broth half a cup at a time followed by remaining water (up to 2 cup) until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add soup into a pot on stove top, add cinnamon stick, simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Adjust curry and salt to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Julienne red beet and garnish on top of soup.
What I changed from original soup recipe:
- Used more beets (6-7)
- Roasted a red beet separately and used it is garnish julienned
- Used 1 onion versus 1/2 onion
- Doubled, curry, coriander, cumin, cayenne
- Used a cinnamon stick after soup pureed and simmered it for 8-10 minutes
- Used fresh ginger minced instead of ground ginger
- Used more vegetable stock