A week ago, I went to a great Asian grocery store called TNT Supermarket that I haven’t been to in quite sometime. This place has a ton of various foods that you normally don’t find at regular supermarkets. I entered the supermarket without a plan of what to buy, but was drawn to the variety of mushrooms and how cheap they were.
So mushroom leek soup is was!
For this soup, I did not follow a recipe. I threw together my favorite base ingredients that I normally use in soups (e.g. vegetable stock, garlic, ginger). I also love leeks with mushrooms in any dish – so they joined the party as well. And having used enoki mushrooms in the past, their texture is almost like noodles to me and I thought they would be perfect in soup that was noodle-less.
The Verdict of Mushroom Leek Soup?
This soup is very fresh tasting and meaty with a ton of mushrooms – a vegetable world meat delight! I do love how the sesame oil added asian flare to my taste buds and it played very well with the ginger. I had the soup for dinner and for lunch two days in a row – and I would have had it another day but I was leaving for San Diego the next morning.
Mushroom Leek Soup Ingredients:
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ginger, minced
- 3 packages enoki mushrooms , ends trimmed off
- 4 king oyster mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 package brown shimeji mushrooms, broken apart
- 1 package white shimeji mushrooms, broken apart
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- dash salt and pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
Mushroom Leek Soup Instructions:
- In a saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a gentle boil and then keep it on simmer.
- In a pan add olive oil and sauté the leeks, ginger and garlic about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and bell pepper and sauté for another 5-8 minutes.
- Add mushroom, peppers, and sesame oil to the soup base.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup in bowls.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Season with salt and pepper – adjust to your liking.