Yikes! This is my first blog post since May! Somehow my passion for playing golf and training for my first half marathon ate up all my time over the last few months. But heck, it’s never too late to start back at er! It is fall here now and somehow my soup spark has been lit again!
Every once in a while when I receive Costco’s bi-monthly magazine I flip through the pages just to read the recipes. For this September/October issue, I found this great looking soup recipe that had quinoa in it. I have had a bag of quinoa for quiet sometime and been meaning to make a quinoa salad or something, but never looked into any recipes to date. I have not thought of using it in soup. But soup it is today!
The Verdict of Roasted Garlic & Mushroom Soup with Quinoa?
The original soup recipe was good, but with some fine-tuning, I transformed it into a splendid soup for myself! Somehow it seemed a tad bland so I added more pepper and freshly squeezed lime juice, which seemed to have lifted it up quite nice! Also goat yogurt is highly recommended or even give Greek yogurt a try – they both will give the soup a nice creamy taste! Just make sure you swirl it around in your soup before digging in!
Roasted Garlic & Mushroom Soup with Quinoa Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 pound sliced shitake mushrooms
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/8 cup of fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup goat yogurt
Roasted Garlic & Mushroom Soup with Quinoa Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 200C. Cut top of garlic bulb off, place on tin foil enough to cover the whole bulb, sprinkle olive oil, wrap and bake in oven for about 30 minutes. Cool then spoon out garlic.
- Heat oil in large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Cook onion for about 8 minutes, then add in mushrooms and cook for 7 more minutes until mushrooms are softened.
- Remove 2 cups of the mushroom/onion mixture and put aside till later.
- Add in stock, water, quinoa, roasted garlic, thyme, salt, pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for approx 15 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
- Puree soup with hand blender (or in blender and return back to pot).
- Stir in reserved mushroom/onion mixture. Cook gently until evenly heated through and stir in lime juice and spinach.
- Ladle into bowls
- Garnish with a dollop of goat yogurt and grated parmesan.
Original soup recipe from: Costco Connection, September/October 2012 edition, reprinted from: Quinoa Revolution: Over 150 Healthy Great Tasting Recipes Under 500 Calories by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming.
What I changed from original soup recipe:
- Used olive oil instead of vegetable oil
- Doubled the mushrooms and used shitake as well as cremini
- Used 5 cups of stock versus 4 cups
- Added lime juice
- Added goat yogurt
- Used more pepper
Soup Mistress Rating for Roasted Garlic & Mushroom Soup with Quinoa: