Beef Pho Bo - Vietnamese Soup
Tonight I invited my very good friend Sharai (plus house sitter + niece + cool nerdette) over for some Beef Pho Bo (Vietnamese soup).
I have been meaning to try a Pho (Vietnamese soup) recipe all last winter but never done so. Tonight was perfect timing to give it a whirl since I knew Sharai really loved Pho. I wanted to treat her to a soup night and thank her for house sitting my place over the last 5 weeks when I was in Vegas.
The Verdict of Beef Pho Bo?
The best thing about making this soup was the aroma in the house – it was unbelievable! Cloves, ginger, star anise, fish sauce and beef – oh my! They are having a mighty fine party in my pot!
Sharai and I both agreed that the original recipe simmering time of 1.5 hours can be extended to a half day or all day event. The broth was superb, but I can imagine if it was simmered longer it would be served up in the VIP section in heaven!
The soup was flavorful, refreshing and the meat just cooked perfect by the broth being poured over it. I added additional pea shoots that was not called for in the original recipe and think it was a fine choice indeed. I also used beef back ribs instead of beef short ribs (a recommendation from my butcher at Safeway).
This Vietnamese soup is definitely going to be a repeat in my home!
Beef Pho Bo Ingredients:
- 24 cups water
- 4 lbs beef back ribs
- 1 lb beef inside round rouladen (thinly sliced beef)
- 3 inch piece ginger – large chopped pieces
- 3 garlic gloves, large chopped pieces
- 5 star anise
- 7 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorn
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 package rice vermicelli noodles
- 8 lime wedges
- 4 green onions, large chopped pieces
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 1 bunch pea shoots
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 thai basil
- sriracha sauce
Beef Pho Bo Instructions:
- Add water, beef back ribs, ginger, star anise, garlic, cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and fish sauce to a very large pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer with lid on for 3-4 hours.
- Remove broth from heat and strain broth.
- Put pot back on stove, stir in noodles and wait 10 minutes or when noodles have softened.
- Ladle noodles into large deep soup bowls. Place bean sprouts, pea shoots, lime wedge, basil, cilantro, green onions and thinly sliced raw meat on top of the noodles.
- Ladle broth over soup, enough to cover and slightly cook the thinly sliced beef.
- Drizzle sriracha sauce over top of soup.
- Grab some chopsticks and/or spoon – enjoy!!
Original recipe from: http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2012/01/beef-pho-vietnamese-soup-pho-bo/
Soup Mistress Rating for Beef Pho Bo: