Heat up and serve
Yesterday I decided to make this refreshing soup. I was looking for something to pick me up because the night before I had one too many glasses of wine with my girl friends.
I decided to replace regular green cabbage with napa cabbage – it is somewhat milder and a bit sweeter. Napa cabbage is a good source of vitamin C, folate, calcium, potassium, and manganese. Read more on the nutritional value here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3035/2
The Verdict of Sweet and Sour Napa Cabbage Apple Soup? I did like the sweet and sour taste of the soup. It seemed more on the sweet side to me though – so if you are not a sweet soup kind of person, this is not for you. Myself, I do like savory as well as sweet soups. This soup did in fact pick me up and make me feel like I did not have wine the night before. It was a great pick me up soup. I would make this soup in the future. I think this soup could also be served cold in the summertime or used as a base (simmered down more) to cook chicken in and served it over some rice.
Sweet and Sour Napa Cabbage Apple Soup Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and diced (plus few slices for garnish)
- ½ cup apple juice
- 14oz canned tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3.5 oz pineapple with reserved juice, finely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoon wine vinegar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- salt and pepper
Sweet and Sour Napa Cabbage Apple Soup Instructions:
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium sauté onions for about 5 minutes or until soft (not browned).
- Add cabbage and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add apples and apple juice, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, pineapple, vinegar, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour until fruit and veggies are soft.
- Take soup off heat, add lime juice and puree soup with hand blender (or in food processor working in batches).
- Return soup to rinsed out pot, and heat up soup on low.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Ladle soup in warmed bowls.
- Garnish with thin apple slices.
Original Recipe: Soup Bowl, An inspiring Collection of Soups, Broths, and Chowders, Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup (page 137)
What I Changed From Original Recipe:
- omitted raisins and orange juice
- added lime juice and tomato paste
- omitted tomato juice
- used more cabbage and napa cabbage instead of regular cabbage
- used more pineapple and the reserved juice
Soup Mistress Rating for Sweet and Sour Napa Cabbage Apple Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4.75/5)