My soup-a-holic friend Noel Pullen shared this Spanish Chickpea and Chirizo Soup – it is one of his favorite soup recipes (actually one of his wife’s favorites). The Tomato Basil Organic Soup is his other favorite. Both soups are original soup recipes from Jamie Oliver.
I didn’t change much of the original recipe, but I did add cumin and paprika, which are ussually found in Spanish dishes. I must say that I really love cumin.
The Verdict of Spanish Chickpea and Chorizo Soup? Wow – Noel’s wife has good taste buds indeed. This soup recipe is a keeper for sure! I am not sure if this soup will ever make it to the freezer because I had it last night and then today for lunch. This is one soup that rocks for flavor the first day and the flavors explode even more the next. I felt like licking the bowl because the base was so good. I also like how the prosciutto cooks a little and the hammy texture is so nice with the chorizo. For each and every spoonful, you are most likely to get one of the meats!
Spanish Chickpea and Chorizo Soup Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large (5.5 ounces) chorizo sausage, chopped
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 8 fresh tomatoes, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can of good quality chickpeas, rinsed with water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 5 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 lb fresh baby spinach
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 ounces of prosciutto, finely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced thinly (egg slicer can come in handy!)
Spanish Chickpea and Chorizo Soup Instructions:
- Heat olive oil up in large saucepan, saute chorizo until fat comes out.
- Add onion, garlic and celery. Turn heat to min and cook slowly for 10-15 mins with lid on – don’t colour onions.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, cumin, paprika and chicken stock.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 40 mins.
- In meantime, place eggs in pot of cold water, bring pot to a boil then turn off heat, cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Rinse eggs in cold water and peel.
- When soup has simmered for 30 minutes, add in baby spinach.
- Puree about 1/3 of mixture or use the handheld blender for about 4 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add prosciutto and stir for 1 minute.
- Ladle soup among serving bowls.
- Add sliced egg on top of soup.
What I changed from original recipe:
- added cumin and paprika
- used baby spinach and did not chop it
- used 3 cloves of garlic instead of 1
- used low sodium chicken stock
- added spinach close to the end of simmer stage
- sliced the eggs for garnish instead of grating
Soup Mistress Rating for Spanish Chickpea and Chorizo Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (3.75/5)