Barley – I have never used it in a soup, and this is my first. My doctor has been reminding me to work on lowering my cholesterol. I do like the fact that according to the FDA, barley’s soluble fiber reduces the risk of coronary heart disease and can lower cholesterol.
The Verdict of Shiitake and Button Mushroom Barley Soup? This is a filling and great tasting vegetarian soup. The original recipe called for button mushrooms only. I like adding in shiitake mushrooms anywhere a recipe calls for buttons mushrooms, they give a different dimension of meatiness. The soup has a richer taste the next day and gets thicker, I added extra broth. I try to avoid gluten in my soups most of the time but this soup is an exception as I like the taste of barley. If you area true celiac, this soup is not for you because barley has gluten if you didn’t know that.
Shiitake and Button Mushroom Barley Soup Ingredients:
- 7 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic clove, minced or chopped very fine
- 1 cup baby carrots, thinly sliced
- 16oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8oz shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Shiitake and Button Mushroom Barley Soup Instructions:
- Add 2 cups of broth to a large saucepan/pot. Bring to a boil and add the pearl barley, cover then simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, add olive oil and saute onions over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrot, mushrooms to onions and saute for another 6 minutes.
- Combine mushroom and rest of broth into saucepan with barley/broth.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Bring back up to a boil and simmer on low for about 30-35 minutes with lid partially covered.
- Stir in parsley and thyme (keeping some for garnish).
- Ladle soup into warmed bowls.
- Add parsley and thyme as garnish.
Original Recipe: Book: Soup Bowl, An Inspiring Collection of Soups, Broths and Chowders – Mushroom Barley Soup (page 64)
What I changed from original recipe:
- used thyme instead of tarragon
- used more mushrooms and broth
- added shiitake mushroom and garlic
- used olive oil instead of butter
- omitted bay leaf
Soup Mistress Rating for Shiitake and Button Mushroom Barley Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4.75/5)