A while ago, Noel Pullen (@noelpullen) (another soup-a-holic like myself) shared Jamie Oliver’s Tomato Soup recipe with me along with his own modifications. I’ve been meaning to make this soup with Noel’s recommendations for quite some time. Noel made the soup a tad thicker (doubling the veggies and not the water/stock) and gave it some zing by adding peppercorns and increasing the amount of basil.
The Verdict? I purchased the same canned tomatoes and vegetable stock cubes that Noel used at Donalds Market (at the Westminster Quay). The canned plum tomatoes are really great and have a thick tomato base, which I think is what gives this soup a very yummy taste. These canned tomatoes don’t seem to be as watered down as other brands – I would buy them again. The extra basil and peppercorns really added some nice depth to the soup for sure. Two thumbs up for this soup and it’s modifications. I feel really healthy eating this soup because I used all organic vegetables! Yum factor indeed.
Ingredients for Plum Tomato Basil Organic Soup:
(Serves 10 – 12, this is a big batch of soup – great to freeze as well)
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 sticks of celery, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 vegetable stock cubes, preferably organic
- 1.5 liters of boiling water
- 2x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
- 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 20 large fresh basil leaves
- sea salt
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
Cooking Instructions for Plum Tomato Basil Organic Soup:
- Heat olive oil in large heavy pan (or pot) over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, onion and cook for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with the lid slightly on until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.
- Bring 1.5 liters of water to a boil and turn off. Stir in stock cubes until dissolved.
- Add stock to the pot with vegetables, as well as the canned and fresh whole tomatoes. Stir.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Season with salt and peppercorns and add the basil leaves.
- Using a hand blender or regular blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- To serve, ladle hot soup into bowls. Garnish with grated parmesan and a few small basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Original recipe here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/soup-recipes/tomato-soup-updated
What was changed from Jamie Oliver’s Tomato Soup recipe:
- increased to 20 big basil leaves
- added 10 black peppercorns
- doubled all the vegetables and not the liquid
- added parmesan as a garnish (this was my modification)
- used all organic vegetables
Soup Mistress Rating for Plum Tomato Basil Organic Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4.5/5)