Over the holidays, I celebrated with food. I had a lot of butter-rich breakfasts, delectable desserts, chocolate covered cherries and splashes of wine here and there. And let’s not forget about turkey and gravy – oh how much I love you so!
On boxing day, I was excited to cook a turkey to make some homemade turkey stock for a healthy soup. Homemade turkey stock is probably the best stock ever!
Time to detox myself and go back to my regular healthy eating habits….
So turkey spinach soup it was!
The Verdict of Turkey Spinach soup? I truly believe I created a really tasty healthy turkey soup recipe. I didn’t follow a recipe what-so-ever. I wanted to make a turkey soup that had no pasta and decided to use parsnips as a stand in. I tried to use whatever fresh vegetables and herbs I had in the fridge.
This soup freezes very well. I ate a batch from the freezer already this week!
Turkey Stock Ingredients:
- turkey carcass
- turkey giblets
- 4 sprigs thyme, whole
- 5-6 celery ribs, cut in half
- 1 white onion, cut in half
- 2 large carrots, cut in half
- 1 lemon (sliced)
- dash of pepper and salt
- 15 cups of water (approx)
Turkey Spinach Soup Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cup carrots, sliced thin
- 1 cup parsnips, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dill, finely chopped
- 7 cups turkey stock
- 2 cups, white cooked turkey meat, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- dash salt and pepper
Cooking Instructions for Turkey Stock:
- Add all stock ingredients in a very large pot with strainer.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 45 – 60 minutes covered.
- Strain and discard all but the liquid.
- Filter the stock with fine sieve.
- Skim fat off the top of the rested liquid with large ladle or scoop.
Cooking Instructions for Turkey Spinach Soup:
- Heat olive oil in heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 5 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Add parsnips and carrots and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add thyme and dill.
- Add turkey stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and gently simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and chives, cook until spinach is slightly wilted. Add dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle hot soup into bowls. Serve immediately.
Soup Mistress Rating for Turkey Spinach Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4.5/5)
No related posts.