Crock-Pot Mexican Chili Beef Soup
In the wintertime I like to make a thick chili with stewing beef in my Crock-Pot. I prepare all the ingredients in the morning and turn on the Crock-Pot all day. Unfortunately, my all day Crock-Pot cooking drives my dog crazy. He seems to hang out more in the kitchen smelling around and salivating – poor fella.
But yesterday, I decided to take my regular chili recipe and make it a little different by adding a fair bit of tasty broth. So, I am going to call it Crock-Pot Mexican Chili Beef Soup instead.
The verdict? In the past, I would just add more water to make my chili thinner, but with this recipe I added one of my favorite vegetable broths (and more of it) and boy it make a BIG difference. I can just lap up this chili soup with a few pieces of yummy buttered bread. But wait, maybe I can attribute the taste bud enhancements to another new ingredient I added to my chili? The new ingredient was Skillet’s Chipotle Pumpkin Sauce (a sister product of Skillet Bacon Spread that I so love). I’m thinking the combination of all ingredients, the broth and the Chipotle Pumpkin sauce made a very tasty chili soup. Or maybe it was the slow and long cooking process of my Crock-Pot? Hmmn, maybe so, but this one is a keeper and I am happy a made a big batch to freeze.
Note: The recipe below serves about 15 – you can half all ingredients. I made a big batch with intentions of freezing a few Ziplocs.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 750 ml diced can tomatoes in juice
- 2 x 150 ml cans of tomato paste
- 2 serrano chiles, finely chopped (seeds and white out)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon tex mex spice (or chili powder)
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons skillet chipotle pumpkin sauce
- dash of pepper (to taste)
- 1.25 Kg stewing beef, in chunks
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup goat yogurt (or sour cream)
- fresh cilantro
- Add the following ingredients into Crock-Pot: diced tomatoes(with juice), tomato paste, serrano chili, cumin, tex mex, oregano, cayenne, chipotle pumpkin sauce, and pepper.
- Turn the Crock-Pot on low to get it heated up.
- Heat olive oil in heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 5 minutes, or until onions are softened. Add to Crock-Pot
- Using the same heavy pan brown beef cubes in batches. Add to Crock-Pot
- Add vegetable broth to Crock-Pot.
- Place lid on Crock-Pot and simmer for at least 7 – 8 hours
- Add in strained kidney beans, place lid back on and simmer for 20 minutes.
- To serve, ladle hot soup into bowls. Garnish with some goat yogurt (or sour cream) and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
What I changed from my original chile recipe:
- Added 3 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- Add Skillet Chipotle Pumpkin Sauce
Soup Mistress Rating for Crock-Pot Mexican Chili Beef Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4/5)
No related posts.