Last week, I felt a bit under the weather. In the past, I would attempt to make the same homemade chicken noodle soup to make me feel better. But not this time, I wanted to try something different and went on a hunt for a soup that I can add chicken and garlic to make me feel better.
I found this Curry Chicken Soup recipe in a cookbook called “Soup Bowl” – I modified it a tad to my liking though.
The verdict? This soup is pretty good and even better the next day! The superstar ingredient is the apple – it gives the soup a subtle sweetness, yet not too sweet. Even though this soup seems quite creamy, there is no cream or milk what-so-ever. The lemon juice gives it a very nice zest. The shredded raw carrot adds a nice touch as well – I think the next time I make it I would add even more!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 and ½ cups white onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 and ½ cups parsnip, chopped small
- 1 and ½ cups carrots finely sliced chopped small, plus some shredded for garnish
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped small
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- juice of 1 lemon
- 6oz / 175 g cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, ginger and garlic, saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the parsnip, carrots, and apple and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder until the vegetables are well coated, then pour in the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Keeping a cup of the solids aside, transfer the balance of soup to a food processor or blender. Add lemon juice and puree soup until smooth.
- In a separate pan, fry up chicken pieces on medium to high heat.
- Return soup puree and reserved solids to the saucepan. Add the chicken and cilantro to the saucepan and gently heat through. If you want a thinner soup, add more vegetable stock to your liking.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with cilantro and shredded carrots. Serve immediately.
Original Recipe: Page 103 – Book: Soup Bowl – An inspiring collection of soups, broths and chowders.
What I changed from original recipe:
- replaced butter with olive oil
- used more curry powder
- used more lemon juice
- replaced chicken stock with vegetable stock
- omitted rice
- added garlic clove
- added ginger
Soup Mistress Rating for Curry Chicken Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4/5)