A few weeks ago, I attended a cooking class at Well Seasoned Gourmet Store. Of the four dishes we learned how to make, my favorite dish was the Ham and White Bean Soup with Truffle Oil. Read my previous post Souping it up at Well Seasoned Gourmet Food Store in Langley here.
I decided to make a similar soup at home with some minor modifications (IE added shallots and lemon juice, less olive oil, vegetable stock instead of chicken, pancetta instead of ham).
The verdict? This soup is hearty and flavorful – great for wintertime. I think the addition of lemon juice gives it a very nice zest. The white truffle oil is a nice delicate touch as well.
White Bean Soup and Pancetta Soup with Truffle Oil
- 1 cup pancetta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- ½ cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2.5 cups dried white beans, soaked in water for min 4 hours (or cannellini beans)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- ¼ cup freshly juiced lemon juice
- few drizzles of white truffle oil
- Soak white beans in water for minimum 4 hours. Discard soaking liquid before you use the beans in this recipe.
- Saute pancetta in pan for approx 2 minutes.
- Add olive oil, garlic and shallots and saute for 2 additional minutes.
- Add parsley, beans, stock, dash of pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer covered for 30-40 minutes.
- Puree only a half the soup in a blender or food processor with lemon juice.
- Add the puree back into the pot, stir well and heat gently.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with parsley and small drizzle of truffle oil.
What I changed from original recipe:
- used 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead of 1 cup
- replaced ham and hock with pancetta
- added chopped shallot
- replaced chicken stock with low sodium vegetable stock
- added ¼ cup lemon juice
Soup Mistress Rating for White Bean and Pancetta Soup with Truffle Oil:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4/5)