Just over a week ago I attended a cooking class at Well Seasoned in Langley, British Columbia. I was impressed with the gourmet food store hidden away on the Langley By-Pass by Glover Road.
The class I attended was “Soups & Stews” with Chef Romy Prasad (from Federico’s Supper Club on Commercial Drive in Vancouver). Chef Romy was a mighty fine instructor and shared with us on how to cook the following:
- Ham & Bean Soup with Truffle Oil
- Grilled Sweet Corn & Shrimp Chowder
- Spicy Chicken & Eggplant Stew
- Braised Beef & Apple Stew
My favorite dish was the Ham and White Bean Soup with Truffle Oil. I think I will attempt to make it at home in near future with some minor modifications (IE add white onion, less olive oil, vegetable stock instead of chicken and pretty up the garnish a bit).
Until then, I thought I would share the original recipe with you!
Ham and White Bean Soup with Truffle Oil
- 1 ham-hock, ham chopped off hock
- 4 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped (doh! somehow this was left off in class?!)
- 6 cups dried white beans, soaked in water for min 4 hours (or canellini beans)
- salt & pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- few drizzles of truffle oil
- Cut ham off hock into small pieces, keep the hock and skin.
- Saute garlic in large pan/pot until soft (about 1 minute). Add parsley, beans, stock, ham pieces, skin and ham hock, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove ham hock and skin, discard.
- Puree soup in a blender or food processor.
- Add the puree back into the pot and heat gently.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with parsley and small drizzle of truffle oil.
Soup Mistress Rating for Ham and White Bean Soup with Truffle Oil:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (2.5/5)