Yam Potato Parsnip Chipolte Soup with Chorizo
Just yesterday, I made parsnip, yam and potato hash with poached eggs for breakfast. I really liked the buttery spicy taste of parsnips and how they played well with yams and potatoes. I thought to myself, “why not mix the three together in a soup?”
So I was on a hunt for a recipe and went on my merry way to Google. I must have looked at more than 20 recipes online and I decided to do my own rendition and simply call it Potato, Yam and Parsnip Chipotle Soup.
The verdict? Well, this soup is definitely one of my top five soups so far. I can’t wait to make this soup for friends or family. I really think the superstar ingredient is chipotle pepper in adobo sauce!
This soup is:
- vegetarian (if you exclude the chorizo from recipe or use a soy-based alternative)
- vegan (if you exclude the chorizo from recipe or use a soy-based alternative)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped small
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups yam, peeled and chopped small
- 2 cups new potatoes, peels on and chopped small
- 3 cups parsnips, peeled and chopped small
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped small
- 1 – 10 oz chorizo sausage, cut in thin slices
- 1 bunch of chives
- Heat olive oil in heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, saute until soft, about 5 minutes.Season with dash of pepper.
- Add yams, potatoes and parsnips, saute about 3 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable broth and cumin, bring soup to boil. Reduce heat, simmer covered 20 minutes.
- Keeping 3 cups of potato, yam, parsnip aside. Puree the soup with chipotle pepper in a blender or food processor. Puree in batches if you need to.
- Return soup to pan with 2 cups of reserved solids (potato, yam, parsnip) and chives, gently heat through. If you want a thinner soup, add vegetable stock to your liking.
- In a separate pan, fry up chorizo for 2 minutes on medium to high heat.
- To serve, ladle hot soup into bowls and top with reserved solids, chorizo sausage and chives. Serve immediately.
The closest recipe I found was Sweet Potato and Chipolte Soup here.
What I changed from original recipe:
- added chives
- added parsnips
- added potatoes
- added additional clove of garlic
- added chorizo sausage
- replaced chicken broth with low sodium vegetable stock
- omitted sour cream and tortilla wedges
Soup Mistress Rating for Potato, Yam and Parsnip Chipolte Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4/5)