Caesar Salad Soup
I love to prepare and eat salads in the summertime, but hardly ever do so in the winter. During the winter months in Vancouver, it seems as though I am always cold and wanting hot foods.
The other day, I discovered a very interesting soup recipe on Martha Stewart’s website called Lettuce and Pea Soup.
I thought the soup would be a great way to get some romaine lettuce in on a chilly rainy day! I decided to take the idea and adjust the soup to one of my summertime favorite salads. And Chicken Caesar Salad Soup it is!
The verdict? Well, this soup is definitely interesting and may be hard to visualize as a soup at first, but surprisingly it was pretty good!
This soup is:
- vegetarian (if you exclude the chicken from recipe or use a soy-based alternative)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups head romaine lettuce, chopped (approx 1 head)
- 3 cups snap peas, chopped (with shells on)
- dash ground pepper
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (keeping ¼ for garnish)
- ¼ teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 chicken breast, thinly sliced or cut in small chunks
- Heat olive oil in heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add lettuce and snap peas, stir until lettuce is wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with dash of pepper.
- Stir in vegetable broth, bring soup to boil. Reduce heat, simmer until bright green, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Puree the soup with lemon juice, lemon zest, ½ cup parmesan, and anchovy paste in a blender or food processor. Puree in batches if you need to.
- Return soup to pan, gently heat through. If you want a thinner soup, add vegetable stock to your liking.
- In a separate pan, fry up chicken pieces on medium to high heat.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with chicken and parmesan. Serve immediately.
The lettuce and pea soup recipe that gave me the idea for this soup: http://www.marthastewart.com/316114/lettuce-and-pea-soup-with-croutons
What I changed from original recipe:
- replaced butter with olive oil
- replaced chicken stock with vegetable stock
- replaced frozen peas with fresh snap peas
- added parmesan
- added lemon juice and lemon zest
- added garlic
- added anchovy paste
- omitted croutons, but would maybe try gluten-free croutons in future!
Soup Mistress Rating for Caesar Salad Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4/5)