A few weeks ago I went to Liquid and Solids Cafe in Vancouver’s Commercial Drive area and picked up their Squashed! Soup (read the soup review here). I really liked their soup and wanted to recreate it at home. This recipe is my recreation of the soup and I think I did a great job with some minor modifications to the listed ingredients.
The verdict? This soup is really yummy…I will make it again at home in a heartbeat!
I have plans to redo many soups in the future and I will be:
- cutting calories and trimming fat from some favorite recipes
- adjusting so they are vegetarian, gluten-free as well as vegan – where I can
- adjusting dried herbs for fresh herbs
- adjusting processed foods for natural and/or organic – where I can
- adjusting highly acidic forming recipes to be more alkaline forming (healthier for you)
This soup makeover is:
- vegan (exclude the goat cheese from recipe or use a soy-based alternative)
Butternut Squash Apple Soup Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -1/2 cups white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery rib, finely chopped
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 7 cups butternut squash, flesh out, cut into small pieces
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ¼ cup dry roasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Heat olive oil in heavy pot over moderate. Add onions, garlic, celery and sauté until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add squash and stock. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer at med-low for about 20 minutes until squash is tender.
- Add apples, apple juice and allspice. Simmer uncovered for about 7 minutes.
- Working in batches, purée soup in blender until very smooth, then return to pot.
- Return soup to pot, and gently heat through.
- To serve, ladle hot soup into bowls and top with crumbled goat cheese, roasted pumpkin seeds and chives. Serve immediately.
Original soup that I tried to recreate: http://soupmistress.com/2011/09/squashed-soup-at-liquid-and-solids-in-vancouver-a-review/
What I changed from original recipe:
- replaced butter with olive oil and did not use any canola oil
- did not use any cream
- did not use any brown sugar
- did not use any extra salt
- used vegetable stock with low sodium
- did not use water, used 1 cup of apple juice instead
- did not use xanthan gum
- added goat cheese, pumpkin seeds and chives for garnish
- used allspice, original ingredients did not specify what spices were used
Soup Mistress Rating for Butternut Squash Apple Soup:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (5/5)