Ah, nothing beats the taste of fresh sweet corn from the local farmers market!
By mid September I am usually bored of eating fresh corn off the husk. So why not enjoy sweet fresh corn by spicing it up with other ingredients in a soup?
I have plans to redo many soups in the future and I will be:
- cutting calories and trimming fat from some favourite recipes
- adjusting so they are vegetarian, gluten-free as well as vegan – where I can
- adjusting dried herbs for fresh herbs
- adjusting processed foods for natural and/or organic – where I can
- adjusting highly acidic forming recipes to be more alkaline forming (healthier for you)
This soup makeover is:
- vegetarian (if you exclude the chorizo from recipe or use a soy-based alternative)
- vegan (if you exclude the chorizo from recipe or use a soy-based alternative)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, finely chopped
- 1lb (4oz/550g) corn kernels (approx. 4 large husks)
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups soya milk (or goat yogurt, if you use instead add 1.5 cups and change vegetable stock to 3 cups)
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- dash salt and pepper
- 2oz/55g thinly sliced chorizo sausage
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the oil in large, heavy-bottom pan. Add onions and garlic, cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the corn, cover, and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Add the vegetable stock, half the milk, the serrano chile, cumin, oregano and season with dash salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat right away, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Stir in the remaining milk. Set aside about 1 cup of the soup solids, draining off as much liquid as possible. Transfer the remaining soup to a food processor or blender and process to a coarse puree.
Return the soup to the pan and stir in the reserved soup solids, the chorizo, lime juice, lime zest and cilantro. Reheat to the simmering point, stirring constantly. Ladle into warmed bowls and serve at once.
Original Recipe that I tried and adjusted: from page 124 of the hardback book “Soup Bowl – An inspiring collection of soups, broths, and chowders”, by Parragon books, 2007
What I changed from original recipe:
- replaced corn oil with olive oil
- replaced frozen corn with fresh corn
- replaced chicken stock with organic low sodium vegetable stock
- added cumin
- added oregano
- added lemon zest
- changed milk to soy milk (also tried goats yogurt on other occasions)
- changed 2 tablespoons of cilantro to 3 – just because I so love cilantro!
Soup Mistress Rating for Spicy Corn and Chorizo Soup Recipe Makeover: