I love British Columbia’s abundance of fresh blueberries in the summer.
We are really lucky indeed here. Instead of using blueberries over my pancakes or topping some ice-cream (*so boring*), I decided to make Blueberry Soup today for an afternoon treat, which is much more creative and slimming.
Blueberry soup is definitely perfect for a hot day. I’m giving this one two thumbs up! Kids would love it too, I am sure.
For this recipe makeover I decided to replace sugar with maple syrup and grape juice for natural coconut water. Both ingredients are alkaline forming and better for you. Coconut water also has a high potassium content and contains antioxidants linked to a variety of health benefits. Read more about coconut water on Wikipedia here.
I have plans to redo many soups in the future and I will be:
- cutting calories and trimming fat from some favorite recipes
- adjusting so they are vegetarian, gluten-free as well as vegan – where I can
- adjusting dried herbs for fresh herbs
- adjusting processed foods for natural and/or organic – where I can
- adjusting highly acidic forming recipes to be more alkaline forming (healthier for you)
This soup makeover is:
- vegan (exclude the goat yogurt from recipe or use a soy-based alternative)
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1-1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup natural coconut water
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup plain goat yogurt
- 1 cinnamon stick
In a deep saucepan, bring the maple syrup, orange juice, coconut water, and cinnamon stick to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring.
Add the berries and cook 5 minutes more (until the berries are soft), stirring.
Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes and then discard the cinnamon stick.
Purée the mixture in a blender, strain it through a fine sieve, and chill.
Pour the Blueberry soup into bowls and swirl in the yogurt and a dash of orange zest just before serving.
Original Recipe that I tried and adjusted: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chilled-Blueberry-Soup-238874#ixzz1XahnyG87
What I changed from original recipe:
- added cinnamon stick
- added orange zest as garnish
- replaced 1/2 cup of sugar with only 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- replaced white grape juice with coconut water
- replaced water and used more orange juice
- used goat yogurt instead of cow
Soup Mistress Rating for Chilled Blueberry Soup Recipe Makeover:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (5/5)