Carrot, Orange and Tarragon Soup
- cutting calories and trimming fat from some favorite recipes
- adjusting so they are vegetarian, gluten-free as well as vegan – where I can
- adjusting dried herbs for fresh herbs
- adjusting processed foods for natural and/or organic – where I can
- adjusting highly acidic forming recipes to be more alkaline forming (healthier for you)
This soup makeover is:
- vegan (exclude the kefir/yogurt from recipe)
- gluten-free (exclude the kefir/yogurt from recipe or use gluten-free kefir/yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound bag peeled carrots sliced or chopped
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 1 tablespoon Gran Marnier (or brandy or any orange liquer)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Fresh tarragon sprigs
- 4 teaspoons of kefir (or plain yogurt)
Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots and onion; sauté about 8 minutes (until onions are soft). Add water and bring to boil. Simmer (reduce heat) until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add chopped tarragon and orange zest in blender and then vegetables. Puree soup in blender until very smooth (work in batches if you need to). Return soup to pot. Stir in orange juice, and Gran Marnier. Simmer 5 minutes for flavors to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish soup with a swirl of kefir (or plain yogurt) and a tarragon sprig and serve.
Original recipe url: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Carrot-Soup-with-Orange-and-Tarragon-231862#ixzz1X6iy3HdO
What was changed from original recipe:
- substituted butter with olive oil
- substituted chicken broth with water
- added orange zest
- added kefir (or yogurt)
- changed orange juice to freshly squeezed
- changed brandy to grand marnier
Soup Mistress Rating for Carrot, Orange and Tarragon Soup Recipe Makeover:
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (4.5/5)
No related posts.