I really get a kick out of Thug’s Kitchen 101 Fast as Fuck Recipes. This book has a lot of great vegetarian recipes and reading the blurbs are entertaining and to say the least also very “down to earth” with a healthy dose of curse words!
Here’s a sample blurb to get the gist:
So, today I decided to give Thug Kitchen’s Turmeric and Sweet Potato Soup to warm myself up after my long swim workout.
The Verdict of Turmeric and Sweet Potato Soup:
Yum, warm and cozy goodness!! It’s quite similar to a minestrone soup. I like how the soup has a magical goodness to the broth with spices that I’d never guess to put together in a soup (for example: cinnamon, dried basil, paprika, turmeric, and ginger?). And Turmeric is a spice that comes up over and over again with health benefits but I never really feel inspired to use turmeric in any soups. This one is a keeper though for turmeric soup. For this soup I decided to clean my pantry and use up loose pieces of lasagna noodles and it played very well in this soup. I do suggest adding extra stock the next day if you have left overs, it seems as though my noodles lapped up all the liquids over night!
Turmeric and Sweet Potato Soup Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 sweet potato, skin on, diced into small pieces
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1.5 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I used 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or Tamari)
- 1 can (15 ounces) low salt diced tomatoes with juices (I used 28 ounce large can)
- 5 cups of veggie stock (I used 6.5 cups)
- 1 cup macaroni, stars, letters, orzo or other small pasta (I used broken lasagna noodles)
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 can (15 ounces) drained & rinsed
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey (I added myself)
Turmeric and Sweet Potato Soup Instructions:
In a large pot, warm up olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and saute it around until it starts to look translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add the sweet potato, bell pepper, and jalepeno and cook them all around for another 4 minutes.
Add the turmeric, basil, paprika, ginger, cinnamon, and tamari and keep stirring so that everything gets coated and the spices get a chance to warm up, about 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes and broth, cover, and simmer until sweet potatoes are almost tender, about 8 minutes.
Add the pasta, uncover, and cook until the pasta is good to go (8 -20 minutes, depending on size/thickness of your choice of pasta).
Fold in the chickpeas, kale, and lemon juice and simmer away until the kale wilts and the chickpeas are warm, about 4 more minutes. Tast and add salt and pepper. You can add a little honey (1 tablespoon like I did).
Serve Warm! Enjoy!
Where I received my inspiration for this soup: Thug Kitchen 101, Fast as Fuck
What I changed from the original recipe:
- Used Tamari instead of Soya Sauce
- Added 6.5 cups of veggie stock instead of 5
- Added a large tin of diced tomatoes (28 oz)
- Added a tablespoon of honey at end to balance the soup.
Soup Mistress Rating for Turmeric and Sweet Potato Soup
Healthy (+ slimming + low sodium): (5/5)